2023 Dove Host Application
DEADLINE FOR MOU & DEPOSIT SUBMISSION IS THURSDAY, APRIL 27th, 2023
The cost of a Dove is $1700. Initial deposit of $850 is required or you may pay the entire cost of $1700.
About the Dove Trail
The Dove Trail program was established in 2019 to commemorate & celebrate the 50th anniversary of Woodstock. Our research found that public art installations are a very popular form of cultural tourism. Many destinations throughout the world experienced increased visitation due to their sculpture art trails. The difference between the SCVA Dove Trail and most other public art exhibit trails is that ours is a permanent art exhibit. Many other art trails are used as fundraisers and therefore, sculptures are auctioned off to the highest bidder. The SCVA has experienced a significant amount of visitor interest and visitation because of our Dove trail. For this reason, we plan to continue building on our public trail to build on visitation and the economic wealth of our backyard — and to pay homage to our history, communities, and businesses that are part of who we are as a unique destination.
Rules and Regulations for Dove Host Selection:
- Interested Dove Hosts must complete the following MOU and Commitment Form. All applications must be submitted via this form for tracking purposes.
- Applicants must be SCVA members in good standing.
- A deposit of $850 (50%) must be paid upon submission of this MOU and Commitment form. Payment accepted via credit card below or contact Lori at 845-747-4449 for alternate payment options.
- Dove Hosts will be selected on a first come, first served basis based on the date of completed MOU and deposit payment. If your application is not accepted, the deposit fee is fully refundable.
- Selected Dove hosts must adhere to design, installation, and accessibility requirements as set forth in the MOU and Commitment Form. Dove painting by an artist may begin when the design is approved by Dove Planning Committee.
Dove Trail MOU and Commitment Form:
As an SCVA and Sullivan County Dove Trail partner and on behalf of we agree to follow the Dove design and installation guidelines set forth by the SCVA and the Dove Trail Planning Committee.
Dove Trail Guidelines
- Every effort must be made to hire a Sullivan Catskill artist or an artist that has a connection to our area. A list of potential SCVA member artists is available upon request.
- The Dove must be designed and painted by a professional artist.
- The artists must agree to follow design standards provided by the SCVA and submit design plans along with the project timeline (including phase completion schedule) to Dove Planning Committee for review by May 30, 2023.
- All submitted artist work is the property of the Sullivan Catskills Visitors Association and can be displayed publicly, replicated, or photographed without the artist’s permission.
The location of the dove must be
- Accessible to the public for free during normal business hours 365 days a year from dawn to dusk (cannot remove dove from its location or cover it after it is installed).
- In an area that will deter climbing and vandalism, recommended 1-2 yards high
- Free from obstructing windows, entranceways, or normal pedestrian walkways.
- Maintained by town, village, community group, or business.
- A central location that allows for high levels of pedestrian traffic, activity, and parking
- An opportunity to provide a local sense of place, where the Dove sculpture adds to the character of the community.
- Dove must be located within Sullivan County.
- For outdoor stability and security, a concrete base is recommended.
- Reinforce concrete with #3 rebar @ 12” E. W. on 1” plastic chairs (supporters) should prevent cracking.
- Bases should be constructed to accommodate a forklift, so they can be moved and put in place for installation of the form.
- Dimensions of the base will be determined by each project, in consultation with the concrete fabricator they will be working with. The resulting base should be a minimum of 250 lbs. and up to 450 lbs. in high-wind areas.
- Anchor the Dove structure to the base with concrete bolts with security heads. All the anchors (flanges) are hand-set in the forms, so templates for pre-drilling the holes can only be done on an individual basis (one base/one form). For information on security bolts, go to www.hudsonfasteners.com
- Once installed, Dove must remain accessible to the public from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year.
- Painted dove with sealant and concrete base must be installed no later than Sept 30, 2023.
- Properly prepare and paint sculpture as indicated in manufacturer and SCVA guidelines—company instructions attached.
- The artist must arrange for a final finish with an auto-body shop for a clear coat, or properly seal the Dove which will create a hard-shell high-gloss finish with a UV-protection component.
- Artists need to be mindful of additions or extensions to sculptures as they can deteriorate, fall off the sculpture, or be prone to vandalism if not adhered to properly. Instructions on how to adhere to extensions are attached.
- The Dove is owned by the purchaser. However, the purchaser must maintain the Dove to ensure that its foundation and surrounding area add to the overall beautification of its location. If the Dove is removed or relocated, you must notify the SCVA and get approval to relocate the sculpture, as it and its specific location is part of an overall marketing program.
- If the Dove at any time is not maintained or installed properly, the SCVA has the right to re-claim the Dove, conduct repairs, and/or relocate the sculpture to another public location.
- Dove purchaser’s SCVA membership must be in good standing or the SCVA has the right to reclaim the sculpture.
- The total cost of Dove is $1700 which includes shipping (shipping is paid by the SCVA) from the factory to the SCVA facility. $1700 does not include the cost of an artist, paints, or installation.
- Deposit of $850 is required immediately to secure the Dove using our online form below or you may pay the full amount.
- The final payment of Dove $850 is due within 1 week of the Dove’s delivery to the SCVA facility, and the Dove must be picked up within one week of its delivery.
- If payment is not made or Dove is not picked up in the required time, the SCVA has the right to sell the Dove to another purchaser and not refund the deposit.
- Make checks payable to Sullivan County Visitors Association. Mail to PO Box 248, Ferndale, NY 12734.
SCVA’s contribution: The SCVA pays for shipping and all marketing, promotion, and advertisement of the trail. This includes (but is not limited to) inclusion on travel itineraries, websites, billboards, press releases, events, press conferences, social media, tv commercials, memorabilia, etc.